Healthcare4every1 is a statewide advocacy campaign committed to organizing an active, vibrant and diverse network of concerned residents to build public and political support for affordable, comprehensive, quality health care coverage for all Connecticut residents.
The Health Care Situation
The inability of thousands of people in our state to obtain health care is one of the most urgent injustices we face. More than 325,000 of our residents are uninsured, and thousands more are underinsured. In the wealthiest state in the world’s wealthiest nation, can we accept the fact that residents must choose between rent and health care?
BCAC has been working hard on the statewide healthcare4every1 Campaign to build support for affordable health care coverage for Connecticut's residents.
- - Two events were organized in Stamford and one in Bridgeport to thank our healthcare4every1 suporters; over 500 friends joined us in celebration.
- - 16 presentations were made throughout the region on health care reform to a wide range of community groups, including churches and synagogues, senior citizens, parent groups and nonprofit organizations.
- - Six meetings were organized with state senators from southern Fairfield County and 100 constituents.
- - Three letters to the editor were published and material contributed to 13 newspaper articles. BCAC also participated in two radio interviews.
- - Over 100 parents, small business owners and clergy were moblized for the governor's Town Hall Meetings held throughout southern Fairfield County on the state budget.
THE RESULTS: In June 2011, the state legislature passed the Healthcare Reform Bill. The bill establishes a new SustiNet Health Care Babinet to integrate state and federal health reform measures, as well as to promote health prevention initiatives and reduce state health care spending. The Cabinet will also be responsible for producing a business plan for a nonprofit, public health insurance option.